Take that, Pinterest!

Ellie turned two last weekend and we threw her a Sesame Street birthday party.  We invited family and some friends that live in our town.  When searching on Pinterest I found some cute, time consuming ideas for a birthday party and thought those people are crazy.  When your daughter is turning a young age she won't remember anything.  So what am I trying to prove to people when I throw a party for her?  I want it to look Pinterest-worthy of course!  So, go ahead and pin these great ideas!  I'm pretty sure we spent more time cleaning our house then planning the party.

I think that's the best way to do it.  But here is what we did.



Here's the cake.  It was so difficult.  I had to go to Hy-Vee three days before the party and tell them "Sesame Street themed, pastel colors (I don't like blue teeth), have it say Happy Birthday Ellie, and she's turning two."  Then the day of the party Jon had to go pick it up.  The nerve.

Then we had to decorate our table and Ellie's seating.  My mom has some Target washable table cloths with fun bright colors that match Sesame Street characters.  Boom.


That birthday sign I bought our first year of marriage for Jon's birthday.  Each letter matched the colors of the tablecloth.  Yep, pretend it was planned.  Those flowers I bought the night before the party.  I love a good excuse to buy fresh flowers!  The clear vase I bought at Stuff, Etc in Ankeny for 50 cents.  Red vases from Hobby Lobby a few years ago.  I called them Elmo vases. ;)  After picture was taken we tied a Sesame Street balloon to Ellie's chair.


We added our card table to the end of dinning room table to add more seating.  I love it how our house is so open and spacious in that way, but doesn't look too big when it's just our little family.


My parents got Ellie this little table and chairs for her birthday and they brought it already put together so it could be used right away!  I put down cheap, thin wrapping paper on it for fun.  I got the roll for 30 cents at Target on clearance, so of course I got three rolls.  It's too thin for good wrapping paper but I thought it would be fun for large paper coloring activities.  On the table I put a cup with crayons in it.  (Side note that cup is from my Grandma who passed away a few years ago.)  Sesame Street activity book from Target $1 section on the table for the kids to be entertained. :)  That's as Sesame Steet themed as it's going to get. :)


We set up another card table in the living room with another fun table cloth.  I put some older kid activity books on it as well with some crayons.  (Notice no markers.  I didn't want any kids to get any ideas without adults aware.)  My mom added a fun touch to the corners with her Pinterest-worthy bows.

 


In the living room I had a basket collection of all our Sesame Street books and toys.  A couple of the books are from the library.  Score.  Other books I got at Overflow for cheap (10 random books for $1).  Toys given to us for free from a friend.  Tickle me Elmo I got when I was young.  The little Elmo at Target for $5 months ago.


And then comes the eye-sore.  This piece of wood is hollow.  It use to have box of plants in it but we thought wasted space.  We took plants out and now waiting for our new countertop to come in.  Until then my mom helped us make this look better.  Today it still looks like that until the end of this month when counter comes in.  It's nice not to have a hole there.  We used this at the party for plates, silverware, and placing plates with cake on it. :)  Oh, and more of those corner bows.  The party was hoppin'!  Take that Pinterest! :)


The view from the kitchen.  To the left is where we put the cake and drinks.  If you look close you can see Sesame Street temp tattoos.  My mom picked them up from Nobbies along with Elmo, Cookie Monster & Big Bird plates and napkins.


We served appetizers and this is the only picture I have to show for it.  Oops.  I taped a Happy Birthday sign to a toothpick and stuck it in an apple. :)  It was red so boo-yah Elmo! :)  We served apples with homemade caramel dip, summer sausage, three kind of cheeses, and crackers tray, veggie tray, and put Goldfish crackers in a fish bowl. :)  Our drinks included leftover from Jon's birthday party a couple weeks ago of juice boxes and water bottles.

The party started at 3pm and I woke Ellie up after sleeping two hours.  The kids were playing in the kitchen and laughing.  We went in to find Ellie had gotten into her cake. ;)  So different from last year!!


funny girl <3
She gave us a two-year old hand print.

Half cake was chocolate, half vanilla
Once all our guests arrived we sang Happy Birthday!


Think what you want, but I think she's gorgeous.  And blew out her candle perfectly.  We even got it on video camera!  Thanks Daddy for having it ready in time and Uncle John for capturing it! :)

Next pictures of our guests......

our friend Megan and her daughter
(so bummed we didnt get one of Mike!) :(
Ellie's friend from our Connection Group
and the daughter's parents!
We love our Connection Group! :)

Opening presents....

My grandma, Ellie's cousin, and Jon's Mom
Happy Birthday girl!
Ellie got new movies!

My facial expression when I realize I threw off a Pinterest-worthy party!  Take that Pinterest!
Me & Jon's sister
Brother in law & Ellie's cousin Aviah

I was expecting all the cousins to "help" Ellie open gifts and completely surround her with overwhelming help.  However we didn't see any of that.  Perhaps two-year old gifts for girls are not as cool? :)

cousins
Ellie's cousins help put together her new gift
Ellie's oldest cousins from both sides hanging out
My dad & brother in law together.....

My mom capturing the first time I held Lily.
I love babies!
My dad's Mom
aka Grandma
My sister and her hubby, John
We like Johns in this family.
Cousins :)
"Ellie your party was exhausting!"
Friends coloring

While waiting for dinner Jon took the older kids outside for a game of Ultimate Frisbee while the adults kept the younger kids inside.  They played in the street.(Don't worry Liz, we kept Greyson inside!) :)

We ordered Pizza Pit for dinner.  I picked up 2L soda the night before.  I figured the adults could use some goodness at the end of the day. :)



Loving that table
Thank you everyone for coming to Ellie's birthday party to celebrate her!  We are so thankful the family made the drive and our Ames friends took the time out of their weekend.  Ellie has been a blessing to our family (if you know anything about our family story).  She is a joy and her excitement about life really makes day-to-life more fulfilling.  God knew what He was doing when He placed her in our lives.  She's learning new words daily and is the smartest, stubbornest two-year old I know. ;)

Next blog post will have to be all about her as a two year old!!
The end of our Pinterest-worthy, Sesame Street, two-year old birthday party!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was raised by a strict purity culture, and my father is a narcissistic sex addict

Every Voice Matters

Things that change with a baby....