Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Time for a recipe!  Yeah, it's been quite awhile.  There is this yummy creamy soup that I just HAVE TO share.  My mom makes it from time to time and she got it from allrecipes.com.

It's not hard to make (that's the only recipes I try).

Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup (8 servings)



What you need:
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
1 package of quick cooking long grain & wild rice (with seasoning packet)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
2 cups heavy cream

Directions:
1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken.  Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet.  Cover and remove from heat.



2. In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, and flour.  In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly.  Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux.  Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth.  Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.

3. Stir cream mixture into broth and rice.  Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes. [Keep stirring to keep from burning.]

Yummm!!

I split it up into lunch-sized portions and labeled them.  When it was cooled I put a couple in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.  It worked well for Jon to have them for lunches at work, while I had the option of lunches at home. :)  Those types of meals worked well when we were living under two roofs while he was working on our house.

**It does mention this on allrecipes site, that when you reheat it you can add milk or water for thinning.  I'm not a huge soup person, I like thicker stuff.  So when I reheat, I leave it as is and it tastes pretty much like a casserole.  So good! :)

Let me know if you try it and what you think!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was raised by a strict purity culture, and my father is a narcissistic sex addict

Every Voice Matters

Things that change with a baby....