The Cost of a $4 shirt......

My mind is inconsistent.  I will admit.  I will admit plenty of things.  I will also admit I have a hard time watching men play video games for endless hours and wonder how they can love "those games" so much.

Last weekend my husband and I went out and about around Ames and we made a stop to the mall.  For the first time I went to the Ames mall, I was so excited....and left with, well, my hubby!  I was happy to hear that he is in search of an xBox game that I will enjoy!  (Why you ask?  Because my husband loves playing video games.)  Which let me tell you, finding a game I like is a LOT harder than it sounds.  I am picky.  I am not a big video game person.  I'm not very good, and after awhile I just get bored.
One game I have come to like, maybe because I picked up on it pretty quickly.  It's a pretty stupid game when you really think about it, but my husband LOVES playing video games....so it's been enjoyable because we play together.

Plants vs Zombies

I know I know, weird.  But just talking about it makes me want to go set up another game!

I also play Settlers of Catan!  (similar to the board game but you play with computer people)

Those are the only two games we play "together."  Otherwise I see him playing for numerous hours of things most guys like to play (racing games, Halo, etc).  This last week I tried played Halo with him, but I got really bored and annoyed with getting use to the controllers.  What can I say, I grew up playing Mario Brothers (Nintendo) and sport games.

What I am about to tell you is something that wasn't really necessarily good on my part, but at the time I needed to GET OUT of the house (or in my case I should say apartment).  It was after 11pm and I was really wanting to have Jon come home at 9pm and want to spend time with me but he was ready to unwind playing Halo.  So I ran to Walmart after 11pm at night.  I spent $4.  So my frustration cost us $4.

I tried the $4 shirt on for Jon and he liked it and was totally fine with my purchase.

I sat down with him on the couch and not long after he decided to turn off Halo!  It was around midnight by this time.  We ended up talking until about 2am about things I won't get into right now for the sake of my husband and myself.  (Not about marriage, just about our past experiences and details that should stay within our marriage.)  I was very thankful that he was willing to open up and even take the consideration of turning off Halo.

This morning we got talking and he told me how thankful he was to have me.  That I am so easy going and allow him to just spend some time doing his own thing.  That I don't get upset with him when he wants to do whatever he wants to do, and not exactly do something with him.

It's a good thing I ran to Walmart last night.  Our long chats would've turned out to be a LOT different.  I could have stayed in the apartment and got all steamed up and upset.  Feeling like I deserved time with him.  But I don't.  My place is to serve him, care for him, and support him.  I'm not his holy spirit.  That's not my job.  I need to be aware of what his needs are and put them before my own.  He had just worked about eight hours and needed time to chill.  Who was I to tell him something different?

He also mentioned his feet hurt from standing all day.  (His job requires him to stand the whole time.)  How often does he hear me mention I'm in pain physically and he cares for me?  And even if he didn't care for me when I needed him to, shouldn't I care for him anyways?

That $4 means a lot to me.
1. I was able to cool down and just "get out" for awhile.  Our apartment is small enough that no matter where you are, you would be able to see your husband playing a video game.
2. My husband appreciated it.
3. I learned how much it means to him that I allow him to have time to himself, especially when I'm around.
4. He was able to rest his feet.
5. He's working hard before he starts school again in a few weeks.
6. He has a lot on his mind.  He didn't mean anything against me.

So, the next time my hubby decides it's time to play four hours of Halo, I will go put that $4 shirt on and remember how much he cares about me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was raised by a strict purity culture, and my father is a narcissistic sex addict

Every Voice Matters

Things that change with a baby....