Nursing Ellie: Weaning with a purpose

I've always wondered what weaning Ellie was going to look like.  What age?  Would it be because of her or because of me?  Would she cry a lot?  Would she tell me when she was ready?  What will this look like?

this looks means "I should be laying on my tummy in my crib!"


Back in May I wrote a post about nursing Ellie.  A few things have changed since then, but not a whole lot.  You see, I had a plan A on what weaning her was possibly going to look like.  Then I had to go with Plan B.  Not because of her or me, but because we lost our babies.  I had put some thoughts together when we were expecting.  I had thought to help Ellie adjust to "sharing" Mommy I would nurse her small amounts during day if she needed and once before bed.  I would slowly get rid of those feedings and have Jon put her to bed to have some bonding.  Our first two would have been less than 14 months apart.  Then when we lost that baby we got pregnant again and the next age difference was going to be around 18 months.  I figured Ellie would possibly not be interested in newborn milk and prefer the big girl milk.  So that would also help the weaning process.  I was expecting almost anything because I didn't know what she would think when it came to sharing attention or just that special bonding nursing gives.

Ellie 20 months


But when that wasn't going to happen I had to go to plan B.  Weaning my first born but still nursing a newborn was going to be easier on my milk supply.  However Ellie only nursing right NOW for comfort and the routine.  She is so much like me when it comes to routine.  (So at least I understand her having to process this all.)  The issues I'm having are: I wanted her to tell me when she was ready but she doesn't seem like she's going to come out and say "Hey Mom I'm done with nursing."  She is still saying Momma nigh-nigh (which means bed time and nursing time).  However she is not emptying me completely on one side.  Which could cause some discomfort (and it has), but these past few weeks makes me really ponder weaning her sooner rather than later.  Because of this lack of being emptied, I have gotten mastitis twice.

Ellie 20 months


Mastitis is not something I want to have a third time.  It brings on a lot discomfort (like close to labor pains but in different location), fatigue, nausea, body aches, fever, and little sleep.  As soon as I get this mastitis taken care of I'm going to start weaning Ellie.  It's weird to think of the moment she's completely done with nursing, but it has plenty of health benefits.  Here's to hoping she adjusts well.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was raised by a strict purity culture, and my father is a narcissistic sex addict

Every Voice Matters

Things that change with a baby....