Kindergarten Ready or Not

The other day I found an article that brought together what Kindergarten teachers wish parents would focus on to get ready for school.  They prefer less academics prep and more basic life skills.  It's definitely realistic to think through these types of lists to prepare you and your child for school.  As we have our oldest go through school we are still learning some of the basics of prep for each grade.  I found this helpful for Kindergarten age.  We are now in first grade, and looking back I can agree to this list.

Heres the article, and now I will break it down.

1. Zip and/or button their own pants

I would think this was a given, but I guess it's still an issue for teachers.  I don't have my kids wear any clothing that takes extra work when it comes to bathroom needs.  I have even stayed away from one piece swim suits.  I do slip on pants, leggings, and simple shoes.  Think about what you purchase for their school clothes and stick to the tricky items for home.  I know stores are starting to sell clothes with less buttons.


2. Close bathroom door and flush

This one is hard for our oldest.  She holds until the last possible moment (we're working on that).  She hates the sound they make when it flushes, so I usually find her talking her toddler sibling into doing it for her.

*Bonus: teach your kid how to properly wash their hands.  If they seem in a hurry I like to pick a fun song to sing to help identify the amount of time needed.


3. Identify Last Name

My husband has done a good job at this part.  By the end of Kindergarten she was able to spell and write out her full name.  We tend to have these conversations to pass time in the car, at restaurants, or before bed.  She also knows her address.


4. Recognize Letters and Numbers

Luckily our daughter had this down plus letter sounds.  However we're still working on the direction to write some of them.  She just loves to advance in academics.  Meanwhile I can see us having to really work some more on our toddler.  It's fun to see how different kids learn and grow.


5. Sit and Listen to a book being read to them

Thankfully our daughter grew out of the phase where she refused to sit still no matter what we tried.  I think being older helped because she began to become interested in stories.  The best times to practice is after lunch or before bed.


6. Throw Items Away

For the oldest child this became easy to practice.  While busy nursing or changing dirty diapers the oldest has to learn to pick up after themselves and help out more.  If your child is having a hard time with it make it into a game.  However then you probably will end up finding things thrown away that should not be.  Good luck! :)


7. Not climb up the slide if kids are at the top waiting

In mom circles I feel like this is one of those iffy topics to discuss.  People have their opinions both ways.  I understand both sides.  At school I can see it being more of a bother to have kids constantly going up slides with a larger group of kids out for recess at one time.  Teach your kids to be considerate is probably what teachers are asking.


8. Engage in Eye Contact

Help teach your kids to look directly at whomever is talking to them.  Also help them learn to make eye contact while they are talking to you.  I know its easy to not do this when you're the parent busy with household things but it's really helpful for them to succeed in school.  My daughter is very good at this, however I know some kids are not.  I also am aware some have learning disabilities that could hinder this for them and classmates.  All I will say is you know your child best and I'm sure the teachers and staff are aware.


9. Learn the teacher's name and call on them using it

Mom! Mom! Mom!  Is heard all day around here....(WHY NOT DAD?)  Anyways, teach your kiddos that their teacher will appreciate them using their name.  (Miss, Mr, and Mrs)  In preschool it tends to be first names used.  Prepare your child to learn last name.


10. Show Respect Towards Others (please and thank you)

Practice this at the dinner table.  Please pass something.  Thank you.  This was a nice meal.
HA!  Let me know if you are ever told you made a good meal.  It's rare for us. 


In the end it sounds like teachers just want you to teach your kids basic manners, responsibility, and independence.  The time from end of preschool to the beginning of first grade was a huge leap of independence and growth for our daughter.  Be prepared to watch your child soar and become more confident.  It's such a joy to watch and experience.  She is our oldest so we are experiencing it for the first time, and it is a blessing to witness. 

What are some things that helped you or your child prepare for Kindergarten? 
What are some helpful tips you can share for others?
What was your favorite thing from Kindergarten?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was raised by a strict purity culture, and my father is a narcissistic sex addict

Every Voice Matters

Things that change with a baby....