Small Town outside the Big City

We moved to a wonderful 3-bedroom apartment in a small town called Fairfax.  It is literally a few minutes until you hit Cedar Rapids so it's not bad at all.

Fairfax is southwest of Cedar Rapids on hwy 151


Our church is like 5 or 6 minutes away.  Well, we visited it for the first time this last Sunday.  We seemed to both like it as of now.  However you always have to go more than once to get the full effect.  Everyone was very welcoming and we even got to have a quick chat with the head Pastor.  He mentioned a ministry that Jon seemed to be interested in, which is always good.  I'm hoping the children's program is something worth looking into and getting more info about.

The entrance to Stonebridge Church


The more I thought about it, I thought....when Johnston Evangelical Free Church seemed so new to me, how did I feel like I knew more people?  How did it become to feel more like home?  When I changed to Timberline Church I was an adult and it was a lot faster to feel I wasn't "new" because it was a newer church and I was really involved right away.  Plus I knew at least 75% of the people attending.  So I went back to my roots of Johnston E Free Church and pondered, "When did I start to walk in the church and it didn't feel new to me anymore?  When could I walk in and feel like I knew a good amount of people inside of the doors and feel I had good fellowship among other believers?"

The hardest part was that it came quicker to be able to walk in (JEFC) because I was in the youth group (high school) at the time.  So I quickly got hooked up with a group of people.  As an adult it is harder to just walk in to a church where you know absolutely no one and start feeling accepted and close with those around you if you are not involved in ANYTHING from the beginning.  That's when I thought about what things should I start getting involved with?
My first thought was the child ministry of course.  Isn't that the easiest decision for someone like me?  However I quickly thought, no because I don't want to be thought of the girl who is willing to spend hours on end with kids.  Because yes I can.  But that was BEFORE I was pregnant. :)  However I should start with the children's ministry because that's where I will best find my future fellowship for when I do have a little baby to drop off in the nursery.  I should get to know other moms in the community.  Children's ministry is where I should be and this time NOT because I'm a "kid person" but because I'm a mom! :)  And that's a GREAT and FUN reason to be in that ministry.

Yeeehaw to this next step in life....called Motherhood rather than the Kid Person. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was raised by a strict purity culture, and my father is a narcissistic sex addict

Every Voice Matters

Things that change with a baby....